Vegan carrot dogs, what?! Many of you are probably shaking your head at this, thinking "what the hell..." but seriously, don't knock it 'til ya try it. This is my second time making these although I tweaked the recipe a little this time. If you're even the slightest bit intrigued, I'm nudging you to give 'em a try -- they are so so easy to make. And bonus... HEALTHY!
This is a great way for you & your family to become aware of and cut back on processed meat. Like many other cured meats, hot dogs typically contain additives called nitrites, which preserve the freshness and shelf life. These nitrites have an association with an increased risk of cancer. Hot dogs, in particular, raise the risk of cancer 9x in children who consumed more than 12 hot dogs/month, according to a study published in the journal, "Cancer Causes & Control."
On that note, do your best to look for healthy alternatives. Food should NOT be this complicated, you know? It's not rocket science. However, we are forced to do research on certain topics because our food system today is mostly comprised of food-like substances, not food. My advice: eat whole, natural foods as often as possible. And if/when you do eat meat, be aware of it. Do some research in your area to find local meat, free of hormones and preservatives.
Now... let's talk carrot dogs:
- 8 medium carrots - scrubbed (do not peel)
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp of each: black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- ½ tsp of each: mustard seed, coriander
Optional: ketchup, mustard, onions, relish, chives, microgreens, etc.
- Steam carrots for 12-15 minutes. Test with fork. Carrots should be soft, but not as soft as a cooked carrot.
- Pierce carrots all over with fork so that the marinade can seep in.
- In a medium saucepan, combine all marinade ingredients. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place steamed carrots in a large zip-lock bag and pour the marinade all over the carrots making sure they are fully submerged. Let sit for 4-8 hours (the longer the better).
- Preheat grill to medium heat & cook approx. 2-3 min/side.
- Serve in buns & top with condiments.